In September 2014, the Government introduced ‘Universal Free School Meals’ for all children in Reception, Year 1 and Year 2.  This means that all children in Yr R to Yr 2 are entitled to a school meal free of charge (you still need to book your meal choices through ParentPay).

Benefit Related Free School Meals

Is your household earned income/take home pay below £616.67 per month? For families in receipt of benefits, it is important that parents/carers of children apply for benefits-related free school meals. If your child is in Reception, Year 1, or Year two and receives Universal Infant Free School Meals, you should still apply for the Benefit Related Free School Meals.

For every child who receives benefit-related free school meals, the school receive additional funding to support their education. This is called pupil premium funding.

If you think your family might be eligible for pupil premium funding, just have a chat (in confidence) with our office staff, take a look at the BANES Pupil Premium eligibility page  or read the information below. It costs nothing and could benefit your family.

How to apply in BANES

If your household earned income/take home pay is below £616.67 per month, (which is equivalent to £7,400 per year) then you could be entitled to Benefit Related Free School Meals. Your household income is the figure that Universal Credit use to work out how much Universal Credit to pay you, not your actual Universal Credit payment.

Qualifying benefits:

  • Universal Credit (provided you have an annual net earned income of no more than £7,400, as assessed by earnings from up to three of your most recent assessment periods) 
  • Income Support    
  • Income-Based Jobseekers Allowance
  • Income Related Employment Support Allowance
  • Child Tax Credit (WITHOUT Working Tax Credit) and have and annual household income (as assessed by HMRC) below £16,190
  • Working Tax Credit Run-on which is only paid for 4 weeks after you STOP qualifying for Working Tax Credit
  • The Guaranteed Element of State Pension Credit
  • Support under PartV1 of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999

Further Reading

Starting school in 2025?